ABOUT HOMESCHOOL CLASS.
At American Family Karate in Elmira, NY, we understand the difficult curriculum choices, socialization, financial strain, time commitment, and personal sacrifice that it takes for you to Home School your Child in Chemung County.
Complement your child’s homeschooling with the benefits of Martial Arts training. Physical fitness, Leadership Development, Integrity, Confidence, Respect, Perseverance, Self-Control, Improved listening skills, Balance & Coordination are just some of the benefits that come with your American Family Karate Martial Arts training.
Students build social skills and make new friendships in this safe and fun learning environment along with meeting physical fitness requirements. At American Family Karate we have ongoing activities for students to participate in and make new friends. Students can join us for Tournaments, Parades, Demos, and much more!
This class is open ONLY to home school children and their parents.
- Begins October 5th,2017. 8 week course, Thursday mornings.
- Ages 5 to 8 at 10:00 am, Ages 9 and up at 11:00 am
- Course focus will be on basic technique, self-defense, strength & cardiovascular conditioning.
- Character Building: confidence, integrity, courtesy, perseverance, respect & self-control.
- New Healthy Habit each month!
- Registration IS required!
- Cost for NEW students is just $145 for 8 weeks, uniform & registration!
WHAT HOMESCHOOLERS LEARN
Students Will Learn:
- The basic tenets of Soryu Karate!
- Respect – for instructors, traditions, opponents, self – is a key element of martial arts and American Family Karate.
- Punches, blocks, kicks & stretching techniques
- Practical Self-Defense
- Kata – Japanese word describing detailed choreographed patterns of movements
- Sparring – students will start learning sparring techniques as early as white belt. After Yellow Belt students will begin to learn controlled sparring techniques & will practice against each other under supervision.
- Fitness activities – jumping jacks, running, rounds & various strength training & cardiovascular activities will be implemented.
- Uniforms are required.
- Students will need sparring gear upon attaining the rank of Yellow Belt. Due to safety concerns, we no longer allow outside equipment in sparring. We do our best to keep costs low while ensuring quality safety equipment. Sparring equipment should be ordered through AFK. Sparring takes place on Monday nights at 7pm. .
- Students will test for rank only after skills have been demonstrated. Rank Exams are scheduled & open to all eligible students as determined by Sensei Brown. Rank Exams are $30. However, students are not allowed to test until they know the material. We set our students up for success! Fee includes belt and certificate of rank.
- We follow Elmira City School District for Holidays & Snow Days. Please be advised that Sensei Brown lives in Caton, south of Corning & if Corning has a snow day it is possible that she can’t get off her road. Please watch Facebook, join our Texting group or call/text. We do not consider teacher training days holidays & will be open on those days.
- Children under the age of 8 MUST have a parent on grounds at all times. Sorry, NO exceptions!
Siblings & Returning Students (White Belts):
- The cost for siblings will be $125 for the 8 week program and uniform when registering at the same time. If registering in different sessions, the $145 will apply.
- For Returning Students, the cost will be $100 for the first student and $80 for additional siblings.
Yellow Belts and Higher (Returning Students):
- Upon making the rank of Yellow Belt, students who wish to continue to the next rank should plan on attending two classes per week. The sparring class is Monday night at 7PM for Beginners (Yellow to Orange Belt). When attending 2 classes per week (Morning Class Plus Sparring Class) tuition for the 8 week program will be $118.
Make Up Classes:
- You may do one make-up class in the evening per session. After that, evening classes are $5.
- We do not refund for missed classes.